Skip to main content

Coordinate Projections

 This module was extremely helpful, as we dived deep into projection systems. Through the lab, we analyzed UTM, State Plane, Albers and determined when they are the best fit, as well as how to project them properly. 

A handful of tools we utilized are listed below: 

Projection Wizard

Geodetic Parameter  Search

For our final map, we choose a state in the USA, and determined which projection to use; UTM vs State Plan. 

I choose the state Utah because I have always wanted to go to Zion! I decided not to use the State Plane because there are three different ones that subdivide the state. Since state plane’s do not work here, I opted for UTM over Albers because we are looking at a relatively smaller area not close to the poles. I tried a couple of different UTM NAD83 Zones and landed on UTM NAD83 Zone 12. In this zone, Utah completely lies within one UTM Zone.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utilizing ERDAS Imagine to Analyze Map Features

 This week we learned how to utilize histograms and different bands to highlight different features in a map. On the following map that we worked on, dark bodies of water caused high peaks on the left of histograms while snow-peaked mountains were small blips on the far right. These simple distinctions help to quickly identify map features on a graph, that you can then utilize as a stepping stone to finding them on the image. I found it incredibly interesting how the different band layers highlighted different features on the map. Figure 1 below depicts three different features we found on the image.  Figure 1: Distinct features found on an image using ERDAS Imagine. Feature 1: Large body of water. Feature 2: Snow-capped mountains transitioning to thick vegetation. Feature 3: Shallow turbulent body of water near urbanized land, transitioning to deep calm body of water. 

Comparing Common ArcGIS Pro Projection Systems

There are three commonly used GIS projection systems in the United States: Albers, UTM, and State Plane. Each of the projections below shows the slight variations in the projection display of each of the systems while looking at four different counties in Florida.  Figure1: Map projection of Miami-Dade, Polk, Escambala, and Alachua counties in Florida with Albers, UTM 16, and Florida State Plane N systems. 

Positional Accuracy: NSSDA

 In this analysis, I compared the street and road intersect data collected for Alburquerque, NM by the City of Alburquerque and the application StreetMaps. I used an orthophoto base layer as the reference for this analysis, to compare and determine the accuracy of both the City and Streetmap layers using NSSDA procedures. The most difficult part of this analysis for me was how to determine what 20% per quadrant looks like. Because the reference map was divided into 208 quadrants, I had to determine how to subdivide all the quadrant's equality into 20%. After multiple trials and error, I decided to subdivide the entire area (208 sub-quadrants) into 4 equal-area subsections. In this way, I could do 5 random right intersection points per subsection or 20% per subsection.  Map 1: City of Albuquerque city map data.  Map 2: City of Alburquerque SteetMap data When selecting a random intersection to place the points within each quadrant, I choose a location that had data f...